Thursday 11 April 2013

From swords to alchemy.. or rather, proteonomics



Okay, I'm a nerd. I like proteonomics, enough to take it as a H3 subject.. which basically means that I have 4 extra hours of biology lesson every week to learn about proteins. Proteonomics is the new 'in' thing in biology. After the Human Genome Project, scientists realised that knowing the gene sequence does not tell them much. Genes are transcribed into proteins and stuff so the study of proteins and all the regulatory sequences and the protein-protein interactions is really important now. Anyways, enough spamming of random proteo stuff... I just had my proteo 'block test' yesterday which turned out to be a really short quiz. 10 marks in fact. I feel so cheated. I studies so hard for it and it was just a tiny quiz. I am also irritated that I forgot one of the limitations of X-ray crystallography is that it is a static method of visualising the 3D structure of proteins. Aside from that, I think I did quite well, hopefully. My normal H2 bio results for the block tests also came back and I did quite well so I'm reasonably happy. The only thing that is throwing a damper on everything is the coldness of an impending dementoring. I don't know if I mentioned this before but I think of dentists as dementors. They suck the life out of me.. shall elaborate more in the next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment